1. Quick Hits
- The Kansas City Royals beat the San Francisco Giants 7-2 to even the World Series at a game apiece. Game 3 is tomorrow night in San Francisco.
- Last night’s hockey game in Ottawa between the Senators and Toronto was postponed because of yesterday’s shootings in Ottawa.
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will reportedly be forced to testify at Ray Rice’s hearing next month. Rice is appealing his indefinite suspension.
- An independent investigator found evidence of North Carolina athletes being funneled to bogus classes. 361 football players and 128 men’s basketball players enrolled in no-show classes beginning in 1999. Will the NCAA take action against this storied sports program?
- Thursday Night Football: San Diego (5-2) visits Denver (5-1).
No surprise. Game 1 of the World Series was the lowest rated Game 1 in World Series history. Of course the game wasn’t close which is probably one of the big reasons. The longer the Series goes, and if there are dramatics, the numbers will increase significantly. And speaking of numbers, the first two games were decided by 5 runs or more. That’s only happened twice before in World Series history (1936 and 1937) and the Giants were in both of those World Series. And they lost them both. Amaze your friends and neighbors with that bit of useless information.
What’s wrong with these Sunderland soccer players in England? They stunk up the joint at Southampton losing 8-0, so the players decided to do something nice for their supporters who made the trip. Refunds. Can you imagine that? The players passed the hat and came up with about $100-thousand dollars for the 2500 fans who made the trip. Any unclaimed money will go to charity. Can you imagine if other pro teams followed suit? Would Oakland Raiders players, for example, be playing their season pro bono?
4. Bowled Over
Yesterday I wrote “The New Year’s Bowl game in Orlando will the called the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl. Yup, nothing goes together quite as well as spicy wings and a citrusy drink. What’s next, Guantanamo Bay sponsoring the Liberty Bowl?” I asked you to come up with incongruous bowl names. You didn’t disappoint.
*S.B. Hertz Alamo Bowl.
*R.V. Diet Coke Sugar Bowl.
*C.P. UPS Bowl held at FedEx Field, Landover, Md.
*W.S. The Rikers Island Pinstripe Bowl.
*F.G. We’d love to see Pete inducted Rose Bowl.
Angelina Jolie’s movie Unbroken will be released on Christmas Day. It’s the unbelievably true story of track star Lou Zamperini. If it weren’t true, you’d think it was Hollywood hokum. If you haven’t read the book, you should. Here’s the latest movie trailer.
Happy Birthday: The great Pele. 74.
Bonus Birthday: Johnny Carson was born on this date in 1925.
Today in Sports: Toronto’s Joe Carter became just the second player to end a World Series with a homer when he launched a three-run shot in the bottom of the 9th off Mitch Williams of the Phillies in Game 6. 1993.
Bonus Event: 99 years ago today. 25,000 women marched in New York City demanding the right to vote. 1915.
Check out my newest project, The Best of Sports, at About.com Why you should expect the unexpected in this World Series, by the numbers.
Need a gift for that young sports fan in your life? Check out my books. And if you’d like a personally autographed copy contact the Dolphin Bookshop at 516-767-2650.